Variety of Styles
Most builders may use standard dark and dull colors, but there is a world of possibilities when choosing your building materials.
- Choose between different types of metal and different color coating options.
- Specialty metal roofing can mimic shingles, shake, tile and slate.
- While most look similar, there is a wide range of options, colors, designs, and styles, suitable for traditional and contemporary homes.
- Shingles can be combined to produce a 3D design.
What to Consider Before You Choose a Metal or Shingle Roof
The truth is, both shingle and metal roofing are great options. They are both available for homeowners because they both provide the protection you’re looking for. Choosing the best option for you comes down to four main factors:
- Budget – The single biggest in metal roofs vs asphalt shingles is price. This is a big investment either way and perhaps you don’t mind replacing it in 15-20 years or maybe you don’t even expect to live in your home that long. However, if you have the cash and want peace of mind, metal roofing is the best choice.
- Roof Design – Depending on the pitch, design, dormers, valleys, skylights, venting, and overall square footage, your options may be limited. Most manufacturers specify minimum and maximum slopes allowed for both asphalt and metal.
- Environment – Asphalt shingles work great in some areas of the country while metal roofing may be a better option for others. If you live in a climate with extreme weather, metal roofing has a better track record with wind, hail, rain, heat, and freezing temperatures. If you have a mild climate without drastic weather shifts, asphalt shingles may work perfectly.
- Qualified Contractor Availability – Not all roofing contractors are qualified to install metal roofing materials. Compared to shingles, metal roofing has a limited pool of qualified contractors. If you can’t find one nearby, you may end up paying, even more, to bring in outside talent.
Which Will You Choose?
Are you looking for something to last generations, protect your mountain home from wildfires, and give a unique look? Or do you need a roof that is reliable and quick to install that protects your home until you move out in a couple of years?
Whatever you choose, getting the right roofing contractor is essential. That’s where we come in, if you’re looking for a qualified roofer to help you decide between asphalt and metal roofing in your area, give us a call today!
We install both materials with the experience and education to get the job done right the very first time.