Your roof serves as the ultimate barrier between your household and everything outside.
Keeping your roof in good shape and knowing when it’s time for a roof replacement is critical to preserving a safe home.
While a replacement is not always an enthusiastic home renovation, it is a necessary and critical investment.
Signs It’s Time for a New Roof
The longer you have lived in your home, the more likely you may have considered investing in a new roof. Before moving forward with a roof replacement, there are a few signs to watch for to determine whether or not the time is right.
Old Roof – No synthetic roofing material is going to last forever. The lifetime of your roof depends on the materials used and the quality of the initial installation. For the traditional asphalt shingle roof, it will last about 25 years.
Mold or Algae – Any spots, even tiny small areas of mold or algae are signs of trouble. Algae is often noticed by black or green streaks on your shingles. This is because Algae grows through bacteria actually eating away at the shingles. Similarly, mold is caused by moisture and slowly eats away roof waterproofing properties.
Missing Shingles – A few missing shingles might not seem like a big deal, but they are putting your entire roof at risk. Replacing missing shingles is one of the easiest roof repairs to make. If you’re missing more than a few, a roof replacement might be a better investment.
Poor Attic Ventilation – If you have poor ventilation, your roof is likely holding more moisture than it should, and you may need a replacement. Left untreated, this imbalance may lead to ice dams in the winter, blistering paint in the summer, and overall risk to the structural integrity of your home.
Repairs Are No Longer Enough – You can only repair your roof so many times before it will be more cost effective to just replace it. Our team will inspect the damage and let you know if a replacement is needed.
6 Benefits of Replacing Your Roof
A new roof totes several benefits that you might not realize from the outside looking in.
1. Superior Durability – When faced with the same storm, a newer roof will sustain less damage than an older and weaker roof. As the years pass, a roof replacement with better materials and fresh installation provides you with more durable protection against the elements.
2. Energy Efficiency – Older roofs are more susceptible to gaps, air leaks, and tend to absorb heat. All of this adds up and wears on your HVAC system, increasing your energy bills each month. Modern roof materials provide a tight seal and reflect more sunlight to alleviate the strain on your HVAC unit and allow your home to be more energy-efficient.
3. The Warranty – Your roof represents a significant home investment. A warranty protects you from having to pay for a full replacement if something goes wrong. Most asphalt shingle manufacturers will back their products for up to 20 years. If your current roof is out of warranty, it’s worth considering a full replacement to renew your warranty.
4. Resale Value – From a financial perspective, a roof replacement is the best ROI you can put into your home. A home on the market with a newer roof will likely receive more offers and sell for a higher asking price than a comparable home with an older roof.
5. Ensure Safety – As your roof ages it can become structurally unsound. Over time you are running the risk of your roof failing. Replacing an aging roof keeps your home structurally protected and able to withstand the elements with confidence.
6. Lower Insurance Premiums – Installing a new roof may provide eligibility for several insurance premium discounts. Check with your insurance provider to see what offers are available in your area.
Types of Roofs We Replace & Install
We replace and install roofs for both residential and commercial clients in San Antonio, TX, and surrounding areas.
We work with the following materials for new roofs: